Focal Point Training Menu Toggle Image
Accreditations for Focal Point Training Development
Give Focal Point Training a Call today to start your management training

Blog - Why Workplace Behaviour must “Move to Centre Stage”

Why Workplace Behaviour must “Move to Centre Stage”

Posted by Stella Chandler 21/03/18

The launch of the Institute of Business Ethics and Grant Thornton’s Culture Indicators - understanding corporate behaviour

Integrity

I was delighted to be invited to attend the launch of IBE and GTs Board Briefing on Culture Indicators recently.

In the briefing Simon Lowe chair of the GT governance institute talks about corporate culture “finally moving to centre stage” and Peter Montagnon author of the IBE research highlights the importance of organisations understanding “the forces that drive behaviour in their business.”

Tracy Vegro, Executive Director at the FRC captured a key sentiment that “there has never been a moment like this” to get culture right. We so agree that the groundswell of interest in creating respectful workplaces post Weinstein is a hugely important opportunity to change things for the better.

Some key points from the session were 

  • Organisations must have Values as a starting point - without these there is nothing to measure culture against
  • 29% of organisations talk about values in their annual reports… but what are the other 71% doing?
  • It is also vital to drill down from values to day to day behaviours - in other words how are the values “lived”?
  • The tone must be set by the Board and senior leadership team - they should be asking themselves “How confident are we about our culture?”
  • Organisations then need to move to how these are reported on - which is where a set of indicators should be identified and likely be tailored to individual business priorities
  • Audits of behaviour should take place regularly to ensure cultures are maintained

It is disappointing that it has taken a series of high profile scandals amongst a range of businesses and sectors to shine a light on behaviour in the workplace but gratifying that it is now receiving the attention it deserves.

The challenge for many businesses is to ensure their people really understand the behavioural expectations the organisation has - this has to be a key part of moving behaviour to centre stage in an effective way.

For many years we have been helping businesses shape the right kind of behaviours and manage the damaging ones.

For more information on how we can support you in moving your workplace behaviour to centre stage and ensuring it is respectful and inclusive call us on 01903 732 782, email us or contact us. 

You may also be interested in our blogs ...an opportunity to make a difference for everyone and Now is the time to stop workplace bullying.

Stella Chandler
Stella Chandler

I thrive on seeing people do things they didn’t think they could do! I draw on my management and leadership experience from working in senior positions in the Metropolitan Police Service, running Focal Point since 2002 and working across all three sectors in the widest variety of environments. I am a fellow of the CIPD and when I am not working with clients I can be seen on the golf courses of Hampshire.

comments powered by Disqus